REBEL CONNECTION 2017
How students can get involved: clubs, academic teams (speech and debate, We the People, Math team, science Olympiad, robotics), sports, sports medicine, fine arts (band, choir, dance, art), ambassadors, career tech. and of course their academic classes
NHS Homework Help: M/T/W/Th. At 5:00. NHS students and a certified teacher are available for individual and small group tutoring at school. Must sign-in. This will start the second full week of school, but be looking for announcements.
How parents can get involved: PTO membership, Parent Awareness Lunches, Vestavia Hills Athletic Association, Band Parents Association
Being present and on time is important. We want to teach students good habits for punctuality, but also do not want them to fall behind in their coursework if it can be avoided. High school courses move at a quick pace, and when students are out, that can accumulate missed information into hard-to-manage workloads.
Tardy to school:
Students who are tardy to first period will need to be signed in by a parent or the tardy will be unexcused. We will allow them to go to class, but the period will be unexcused without a parent signing them in.
Students can obtain a Pre-Ex Absence form in the front office by Mrs. Hicks desk.
This needs to be turned in no later than 3 days prior to the absence. If you have an emergency and need to be out, please contact Mrs. Nelson or Mrs. Anderson to let us know.
Check Out/In items:
· Identify a reason for checking in/out.
· Only those on a student’s emergency check out list can check them out.
· They must be 21 years old and have a photo ID.
· We do not interrupt classes by calling over the intercom. If you are checking them out in the middle of a period, it helps for the student to have a note to the teacher letting them know they have to check out, otherwise the teacher will not know they need to leave.
We will send out periodically from Mrs. Nelson and Mrs. Anderson some “Survival Tips” to keep you in the loop and reminded of common school procedures. These will come through email.
Please monitor your students’ attire to school. We will work to enforce our dress code daily. I like to tell students, “If you look in the mirror before you come to school and you have to wonder if you will get in trouble, don’t wear it, try another outfit”.
We will follow a “finger-tip length” rule for shorts, but skirts and dresses must be no more than 4 inches above the knee. For girls wearing tights and leggings, their top or shirt must meet the finger-tip length rule and cover appropriately.
· We are moving to 1:1 student/device ratio to provide students with the technology they will need for class. There will not be a wifi server this year for BYOD, as we are prepared to provide technology for instructional purposes.
· Students are allowed to have devices at school. Devices can be used before school, after school and in lunch, but again, they won’t have free wifi for personal use.
· We will ask that student keep them off and up in the hallways and between classes to encourage social conversation and etiquette.
Carpool Map: posted on our website
Carpool Reminder: For after school activities (band, athletics, etc), please pick up your child in the front of the school to avoid traffic jams and congestion with on-going activities on the stadium side of the school.
· Daily announcements
· Twitter @VHHSrebels
· Blog “Rebel Insider”
· Ask your student!
· Open House will be August 21st at 6:00 pm
If your student was not able to get their locker or walk their schedule today, we have another opportunity next Tuesday August 8th from 2:00-4:00. They also will be available on the first day of school.
Thank you for coming! We are going to have a great year,